New England Radio Discussion Society News

Discussion of upcoming radio events.

Postby AI2Q » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:47 pm

The discussion to "re-invent" the New England Radio Discussion Society continues, and with it comes the question of the role of ham radio clubs in general. Here are some ideas presented in a QST magazine article by W1HEO.

SUBSCRIBE FOR FULL ARTICLE.

Have a guest speaker. Topics can include ARES, Skywarn, antennas, radio history etc.

 Show a video.

 Show a Power Point.

 Have an auction. Club members can bring items, with a portion of proceeds going to the club.

 Go on a field trip. Visit local radio or TV stations, electronics firms or police communications center.

 Radio trivia game. Ask questions relating to radio, with prizes for most correct answers.

 Show and Tell. Members bring items and describe them.

 Homebrew night. Members bring a radio construction project and describe it.

 QSL night. Cards are shown and stories told relating to the contacts.

 Technology updates. Details of new modes (digital, APRS) and circuits.

 Equipment reviews. Owners of new ham

In another QST article author W3IZ suggests the following "recipe."

SUBSCRIBE FOR FULL ARTICLE.

Perhaps the most definitive article about clubs was authored by K9TUS. As such, I'm attaching the .PDF file of his QST article. It makes some good points.

SUBSCRIBE OR SEND AN E-MAIL FOR FULL ARTICLE.

Reading it over, it occurred to me that we've been doing most of what K9TUS suggests! Nonetheless, I think his notes may pique your interest---and perhaps spur some "new thinking."

Hey, You!

If you've been receiving these e-mail notices, but haven't attended meetings in a while, plan to attend the next NERDS meeting. We'd really like to see you again and enjoy your company.

Next Meeting

The next meeting of the New England Radio Discussion Society will be held on Tuesday, October 28th, at the New School meeting room on Route One in Kennebunk. All Radio Amateurs, PCARC members, their friends, and families are invited. Start time is 7-PM.

CU there.

Vy 73, AI2Q, Alex
http://ai2q.org/

NNNN
AI2Q

Return to Events